Updating a minor’s PAN card once they become adults

Updating a minor’s PAN card once they become adults

A PAN card issued in the name of a minor does not contain the minor’s photograph or signature, and therefore, cannot be used as a valid proof of identity. Once a minor PAN card holder turns 18, the relevant changes must be made in the PAN records. A new card is then issued bearing a photograph and signature.


The applicant is required to fill up the ‘Request for New PAN Card Or/ And Changes Or Correction in PAN Data’ form.The form can be filled up online by accessing NSDL’s Tax Information Network website and clicking on the online PAN application tab.


The applicant must mention the existing PAN number in the application and check the ‘photo mismatch’ and ‘signature mismatch’ boxes, and submit the online form. The form must also be printed out, signed by the applicant, and submitted along with two photographs.


Identity and address proof in the form of a copy of the applicant’s Aadhaar card, passport, voter ID or bank account statement should also be enclosed with the application form.


A fee of Rs 107 needs to be paid either through online banking or by credit/debit card. Alternatively, a demand draft of Rs 107 drawn in favour of NSDL-PAN must be enclosed with the application.


Once the online form has been submitted, the applicant will receive an acknowledgement number. The completed application must be dispatched to the nearest NSDL or UTISL-approved centre.

Points to note

  • The applicant can find out the status of his application by quoting the acknowledgment number. https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pantan/StatusTrack.html
  • If necessary, the applicant can also make other changes to the PAN data (address or name correction, etc.) at the same time, by submitting the relevant documents.
  • The applicant should ensure that the proof of address, identity, etc. enclosed with the application is valid.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *